I just finished another read-through of the draft so far. I found the typical things: misspellings, double words (the the door), wrong character name used on a speech tag, etc, but I also found some instances where event sequences, people’s knowledge of what took place in them, was out of order. Typical, too, are places where re-writes of sentences or paragraphs were needed for better flow, clarity, or where trimming was called for. I’ve also found a few places where I need to tweak the emotion or action for pacing reasons, and will fine-tune those as I go. In a previous post I talked about mixing literary and commercial (emotion and action, in simplified terms) beats, and I’m tying to get a combination in this book that works for me. It’s a delicate balance, but worth getting as close to right as possible.
At any rate, next up is writing the draft of the last couple of chapters. I can see the finish line! 🙂